Ntabankulu Local Municipality is situated in Alfred Nzo District Municipality, off the National Road (N2) between Mt Frere and Mt Ayliff. Ntabankulu Local Municipality has been incorporated into Alfred Nzo District Municipality with effect from May 2011, from O.R. Tambo District Municipality. Towns in close proximity are Mt. Ayliff, Kokstad and Mt Frere. Flagstaff is accessible through T19 gravel road to the south of Ntabankulu town.
The municipality adopted Local Economic Development in 2008/2009 financial year, focusing on the potential commodities such as agriculture both animal improvement and crop farming; tourism (arts and craft, heritage); sand and quarry mining; and forestry. The LED Plan is due for review on the 2012/2013 Financial Year.
Key objectives of the LED Plan are as follows:
- As outline on the National LED Framework, the LED Plan seeks to create an environment that enables Sustainable Economic growth that creates jobs for the Local community.
- An Economy that emerges to support the National framework and promote sustainable human settlements in rural and urban areas.
- To exploit opportunities in Agriculture, Forestry and Mining as outlined in the Eastern Cape Medium Term Strategic Framework.
- Build the capacity of local community members and other local stakeholders to plan and manage local economic development.
- Stimulate and develop partnerships to plan and implement sustainable Local Economic Development projects
- Facilitate business growth (especially Small & Medium Enterprises) and lever private investment that will specifically benefit the poor.
- Monitor and evaluate LED with a view to under stand its impact and share learnings.
Source: Ntabankulu LM IDP 2012-17