Thabazimbi Municipality is located in the South-western part of the Limpopo Province and has Botswana as its international neighbour and a mere two hour drive from Tshwane. Thabazimbi is known as "mountain of iron" which is the Tswana name for this peaceful productive town, referring to the highly lucrative iron ore reef first discovered in the Municipality in 1919. The Municipality has Marakele National Park, which is a subsidiary of National Parks Board, and in the same standard as the Kruger National Park and Mapungube.The game lodges scattered around the area helps to promote the issue of environmental sustainability.
It was mined since the 1930's when iron and steel production started. The town was proclaimed in 1953. Today Iscor Steelworks in Tshwane still draw much of their raw material from Thabazimbi Kumba Resources (Iron Ore mine). Apart from Iron Ore the Thabazimbi Municipality is surrounded by Platinum producing areas such as: Northam Platinum mine, Anglo, i.e. Amandelbult and Swartklip mines. Other minerals produced in the area include Andalusite, which is mined by Rhino Mine and limestone for the production of cement by Pretoria Portland Cement (PPC).
Boundaries of Thabazimbi Municipality include areas such as: Thabazimbi, Northam, Leeupoort, Rooiberg and Dwaalboom. The Municipal area falls within the Waterberg District Municipal area. Is a very peaceful place to live in and a malaria free Municipality.
Local Economic Development
- The Mining sector is the greatest employer (7.8% increase average per annum) than all the employment sectors existing within the Municipal area, followed by Agriculture sector.
- Electricity, Transport and Finance sectors are the least employers of all formal sectors.
- Trade is a dominant sector among all other informal sectors, followed by Construction.
- Blacks, are engaged in unskilled labour jobs (e.g. mining, agriculture & households).
- Lack of tertiary education facilities contributes towards the inadequate skills amongst the Black population.
- The Mining, Agriculture/Farming/Hunting sectors are the most dominant economic sectors in the Municipal area.
- The Thabazimbi Iron Ore Mine (Kumba Resources) has only 20 years of production capacity left.
- The Agriculture sector in the Municipal area is declining, which poses a threat in terms of jobs on farms.
Source: Thabazimbi LM website & IDP 2012/2013